Thursday, April 10, 2008

Grandma's Weed

I copy this from my sister Dasha's facebook page, but it really does sum things up quite nicely...

Never a Dull Moment...
12:03pm Monday, Apr 7

Last night my family gathered for Sunday dinner at my sister’s house. As Mike and I walked in, the conversation at the dinner table sounded a little something like this:
Mom: Grandma needs it pretty soon. Vera said Roman could get it and they would ship it from California.
Elena: Why are you having them send it? I’m sure we could get her some.
Mom: It has to be really good quality though- it can’t have any weird stuff in it.
Elena (calling to her husband): Mark, does Rorke still have that marijuana plant?

Yeah, I know. Hallucinogenic drugs are usually not the dinner topic of choice at my family’s house either, but apparently the medical and scientific geniuses that make up my extended family have shunned traditional medicine and decided that the best way to treat my grandmother’s illness is with good old-fashioned Mary Jane. And my family is surprisingly eager to help- regardless of the legal or moral ramifications. The next fifteen minutes were spent debating who out of Elena’s old high school buddies or the frat boys Smash currently associates with would be the best source of some quality weed. The issue is still undecided.

I guess I should be troubled by the fact that, while other families discuss politics, family events, etc. at Sunday dinner mine was busy touting the benefits of medicinal marijuana. But I figure my family waved goodbye to normalcy long ago, so when totally outrageous ideas like these are brought up almost daily, it’s best just to join in the fun. Plus I am kind of curious to see what my 89-year-old, stereotypically Russian-Jewish (“you all look too skinny!”) grandma is like when she’s stoned.

1 comment:

Steph & Masha said...

One of the best notes ever put on facebook! This is mine and steph's blog by the way http://mammyandfannie.blogspot.com/