Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Water Helen Water


My brother recently made some comments that got me thinking about the need for basic life sustaining elements in third world countries. People are dying from a lack of something I have in abundance and take entirely for granted: clean drinking water.

Amid my contemplation, I caught a clip of a 60 minutes segment on Unicef efforts to bring safe water to children in Africa. Each dollar donated, provides safe drinking water to a child for 40 day! (or 40 children for one day!)


A donation of $10 will provide clean drinking water for a child for ONE YEAR!!!

I hope you will check out this link and give what you can. No amount is too small.

If there are organizations you support that contribute to this cause, please let me know.

2 comments:

Dasha said...

I donated to unicef once a few years ago, and they have not stopped bugging me since. They constantly send me letters, and random things like return address labels. It kind of pisses me off because I wonder how much of my money is actually going to kids in need and how much is being used for advertising.

Garr's Mom said...

Logan went to the Philippines last summer to help put in water lines for a village. It isn't done yet, they need more money, too. Check out Vaccines for the Philippines. 100% of the money goes to the projects. I do think that we need to help people with the very basics of life. We have so much!! Love your blog, leslie